I made this lovely sun hat for the mother of a friend of mine and when I gave it to my friend, she loved it so much she has decided to keep it for herself and now I’m commissioned to make a second for her mum.
I found the inspiration on Pinterest (of course!) and it comes from the Japanese site for Pierrot Yarns. The chart pattern left me scratching my head for a while, but I figured it out (mostly) in the end.
I only followed the pattern very loosely. I used a bulkier yarn than the pattern called for and then when I was almost finished I realised it was too floppy and I hated it. There was no way I could allow my friend to take it. By this stage it had become a bit of a monster project. Who knew so many single crochet stitches would take so long!
I kept pushing the project to the bottom of the pile to be looked at much, much later. When I couldn’t put it off any longer I decided to re-evaluate. My solution was to rip the entire brim out and start it again.
I’m so glad I did! The second time around I just seemed to get how to do it. and make the brim lovely and firm. I worked some leather chord into the last three or four rows to add just a little bit more strength, but I’m not sure if that really helped or not, but I like to think it will.
To finish off I added three flowers, which complement the hat perfectly. I found the pattern for those on The Party Artisan and added beaded embellishments to the centre of each one. It was pure luck that I had the same colour beads lying around. It must be because I’m so in love with pink…
Here’s the hat with the edges rolled up.
Now I want one for myself, it’s one of the projects I’m the most happy with so far and one that will only improve the more I do it.
Hat: Drops Paris 26, 5mm hook for the hat and 4mm for the brim
Flowers: Drops Paris, 33, 59, 60, 5 mm hook
Leather chord from a craft store worked into the final three rounds for some added stiffness